New Retro Games: Our Second Year
Hard to believe we are now entering our second year! But much like Phil Collins, yes – we’re still here.
2016 has been a year of ups and downs to say the least, whether its your favourite celebrity deciding they don’t want to live on this planet anymore, or your least favourite one becoming ruler and overlord. Whatever the case, new, fun and innovative retro style games will always be here for you, patiently waiting.
As always, we have a lot of plans in the works for 2017 – if you’re interested in that behind the scene stuff feel free to read on. If not, next week we’ll be back to our usual broadcasting (a few weeks worth of games has already been drafted and scheduled!)
This time last year, the blog had just started getting attention with about three months of actual traffic/growth. We were happy to reach 100 views a week. Currently, we are now closer to 400 a week – a growth rate of 400% – so we can’t complain. That may be nothing compared to certain sites, but its 100% organic growth and we’ve happy enough that people are reading.
Last year, we listed out some of the potential developments in the worls for 2016, and… a lot of them didn’t happen. So like a sneaky grandma we will rewrap that old gift and give it to you as if it were new. Here’s what, in the future, we’re looking at, again:
- More content. OK. We did this one, the average posts went from something like 4 per month to 4 per week – i.e. four times the content. We even introduced a few retro music covers/remixes and videos. The only thing that has really limited us from posting more is simply time. We’d still like to covering more non-Windows/PC games such as console and smartphone games, but the only way that would happen is if someone else climbed on board the good ship New Retro.
- Getting a domain name. The same git that took newretrogames.com still holds on to it despite not actually using it for anything. In any case we actually do have our own domain name now – but we decided to hold off on unveiling it til 2017.
- A new name. We have a new name all planned out to coincide with the domain. Stay tuned…
- Improving the layout. The biggest problem with the current layout is that its not mobile-friendly. To fix this, I really need to invest in yearly hosting… but we just don’t have the budget right now. Time will tell.
- More Writers/Contributors. Two people with other full-time commitments can’t do this alone forever. Still. Anyone with a passion for this stuff should contact us! No, we don’t pay, because we don’t get paid either. Yep, we’re fully non-profit driven at this point in time.
In addition to this, there is one new point:
- More variety of games. Particularly hidden gems, and obscure lesser known indie game from the last decade. Originally, the purpose of the blog was to get some coverage and exploration of games that have been otherwise lost to the depth of time. I’m talking your Helherrons, your Hydra Castle Labyrinths, your Dark Disciples, what have you.
Happy New 2017!